Barrow Neurological Institute
Zaman Mirzadeh, MD, PhD‘s expertise includes functional neurosurgery, surgical management of facial pain and chronic neuropathic pain, neuromodulation for chronic pain, and neuroablative techniques for cancer pain management. He is a member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, World Society of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, International Society for Stem Cell Research, and Society for Neuroscience.
Dr. Mirzadeh earned his doctorate and medical degrees from the University of California at San Francisco. He completed his residency at Barrow Neurological Institute. He completed a fellowship in functional neurosurgery at Toronto Western Hospital and another in advanced pain at the Baylor College of Medicine MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Dr. Mirzadeh’s research interests include Type 2 diabetes, central nervous system control of glucose homeostasis and energy balance, and pain modulation in the spinal cord dorsal horn.
Honors & Awards
- John Oakley Pain Fellowship, AANS/CNS Joint Section on Pain, 2017
- John R. Green Award for Best Paper, Arizona Neurosurgical Society, 2015
- Julius R. Krevans’ Distinguished Dissertation Award, University of California at San Francisco, Epithelial Organization of the Adult Neural Stem Cell Niche, 2007
- Provost’s Undergraduate Research Award, Johns Hopkins University, Individual Vocal Recognition and Immediate Early Gene ZENK Expression in the European Starling, 2000
- Mirzadeh Z, Kusne Y, Duran-Moreno M, Cabrales E, Gil-Perotin S, Ortiz C, Chen B, Garcia-Verdugo JM, Sanai N, Alvarez-Buylla A. Bi- and uniciliated ependymal cells define continuous floor-plate-derived tanycytic territories. Nat Commun. 2017;8:13759.
- Chen T, Mirzadeh Z, Lambert M, Gonzalez O, Moran A, Shetter AG, Ponce FA. Cost of deep brain stimulation infection resulting in explantation. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2017;95(2):117-124.
- Turner JD, Eastlack RK, Mirzadeh Z, Nguyen S, Pawelek J, Mundis GM, Jr. Fluctuations in spinal cord perfusion during adult spinal deformity correction identify neurologic changes: proof of concept. World Neurosurg. 2016;85:365 e361-366.
- Scarlett JM, Rojas JM, Matsen ME, Kaiyala KJ, Stefanovski D, Bergman RN, Nguyen HT, Dorfman MD, Lantier L, Wasserman DH, Mirzadeh Z, Unterman TG, Morton GJ, Schwartz MW. Central injection of fibroblast growth factor 1 induces sustained remission of diabetic hyperglycemia in rodents. Nat Med. 2016;22(7):800-806.